House of Peace Franciscan monastery Rama - Šćit

kuca mira rama scit prozor

Šćit is a small settlement, which until 1968 rose above the mountains and the gentle valleys through which the river Rama flowed with its tributaries Buk and Krupić. When in the mentioned year the newly built water dam flooded large areas of the Rama valley, Šćit stayed on a small peninsula with a Franciscan monastery and church.

Christianity was rooted in the Rama end very early. This is evidenced by the remains of an early Christian basilica in the village of Varvara, demolished in the 6th century. There was also the headquarters of the bishops.

The Franciscans, who operate in Bosnia since the end of 13th century, built the monastery in Rama, probably in the 15th century, before the arrival of the Turks. The monastery is then mentioned in 1514, and in 1557 it burned along with the church and on that occasion several Franciscans were killed. It was newly erected even before 1587, since it is mentioned in that year. In the first half of the 17th century the monastery was active and in it ten priests work, and there is a number of students and clerics educated there - interns for the Franciscan Order. In 1653 the monastery was robbed and several Franciscans were killed. The dilapidated monastery building had to be repaired and just as the Franciscans did it, it again fell victim to a fire in 1667. su to franjevci učinili ona je ponovno postala žrtvom požara 1667. godine.

kuca mira rama scit prozor 002

With a loan from beg Kasumović of Kasapović near Travnik, and supplication on different sides, the Franciscans managed to build a new monastery in three years. At the time of the Vienna War (1683 - 1699) there are big excises, and then prosecutions, so that they could not be long sustained in the monastery. In 1687 the Franciscans, along with some of the Catholics, at the urging of the Venetian governor Antun Zen, moved into the Cetina region.

Venetian soldiers set fire to the monastery and many of the houses in Rama, so that the Turks would not have benefited from them. The Franciscans brought with them some valuables, including a picture of Our Lady, which is now in the Franciscan church in Sinj. Franciscans wanted to return to the ruins of the former monastery and church on Šćit. . In 1779 this place was given the privilege of complete amnesty, and believers of Rama gladly led a pilgrimage there. As the land was owned by the Bey Dugalić, Franciscans in 1855 succeeded in buying one part, and the rest two years later from him.

kuca mira rama scit prozor 003

In 1856 began construction on the foundations of the old monastery, which was completed the following year. Rama was proclaimed a residence in 1882, while in the real sense it was declared a monastery in 1930. In 1914 the Rama Franciscans began to build a new monastery (residence) by the design of architect Franz Holz. Because of the difficulties of war, the first floor was completed in 1917 and in 1920 the building was under a roof, and finally in 1930 it was completed and inhabited.

During World War II, in February 1943, a bomb hit the monastery which fortunately did not explode. In 1986 a construction of a new wing of the monastery began, designed by Vinko Grabovac. The new convent was built for the residence, and the existing one was used for the accommodation of cultural and art objects. In 1873 began the construction of the church, but it was completed only in 1881. It was a three-aisled basilica, the idea for which came from father Antun Vladić, taking cue from some churches in Italy which he had had a chance to visit. In 1893 there was work done on the interior and exterior of the church. A tin roof was set up and the tower was completed. A picture of Albert de Rhoden was put up, that shows the angels returning to Our Lady of Sinj to Rama. A painting of St. Francis was acquired from the same author.

kuca mira rama scit prozor 005

The main altar was erected in the 1903 and at that time the church was consecrated. Although both the original convent and church were dedicated to St. Peter the Apostle, later in the place of worship the miraculous image of Our Lady had a higher place, so the patron became Our Lady of Assumption, while the external events were related to the feast of Our Lady's Nativity on the 8th of September.

The Church at the time of the Second World War experienced a tragic fate. The partisans burned it on the 13th of July 1942. With the fire perished its sacristy and th elibrary, valuable paintings and filigree chalices of two master craftsmen from Fojnica and Jajce, and many other chalices. Many archive documents were burned and valuable books. Now there are registers in the transcript of the year 1884. Instead of the church, a makeshift barrack served for worship until 1956. In 1948 out of the old bells two new were molten, which stood on wooden poles.

kuca mira rama scit prozor 006

Reconstruction of the church began in 1956. A new roof was set, which, however, had not been adequately performed, and in 1965 the rearranging of the entire roof structure began. The central aisle was built over masonry piers with semicircular windows, and then the roof structure was set into three naves. The Church was thus given a former basilica form. In 1966 two sacristies were erected and the tower, which got a more slender appearance, was built on. Since 1967 to 1969 the inside of the church was arranged. Painter Josip Bifel from Zagreb made a large altarpiece (1968) in the center of the sanctuary, and two side pieces, which are thematically dedicated to Our Lady. The centrepiece takes up 72, and the other two 27 square meters of wall surface. In the year 1967 the same author made the stations of the Cross. He also painted the front of the crust and made a painting of St. Theresa.

kuca mira rama scit prozor 004

In 1967 a stained glass on the theme of the life of Jesus and Mary was also made by the designs of Joseph Polyana. By the project of M. Fučić the marble mensa of the main altar was made and the side altars. There is also a picture of Gabriel Jurkića in the church, which is actually a copy of the former Our Lady's image, and the image of St. Francis from Ljubo Lah. A bronze tabernacle was created by the design of Joseph Polyana.

With the aforementioned art components the Rama Church represents a valuable entity, by which it is classified among the best artistically decorated sacral spaces of Bosnia. In the monastery's cloister are extremely valuable art sculptures: the Rama Cross and the Memorial to Rama victims by the sculptor Mile Blažević, the Last Supper, Diva Grabovčeva and Our Lady’s doors by the academic sculptor Kuzma Kovačić.

kuca mira rama scit prozor kriz

On Kedžara is also a monument to the Diva Grabovčeva by Kuzma Kovačić. The monastery has a valuable collection of paintings and mosaics that make a real gallery. From the 9th of June 2001 a humanitarian organization "House of Peace Franciscan monastery Šćit-Rama" is active on Šćit, whose program contains work with traumatized people and programs of a spiritual nature (retreats and prayer meetings), and various reconciliation programs, and other spiritual and cultural facilities.

Contactsi:

Franjevački samostan Rama-Šćit, Prozor

Telefon: + 387 36 780 678 / + 387 36 780 740 
Fax: + 387 36 780 680

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
WWW: www.rama.co.ba

rama

Vjerski turizam u BiH

Promotional Items - download

Implementation of web portal

Special Thanks

thank you

powered by Innovattivo.com /MGE & NCU